Golghar Patna Bihar

Rishi sharma
4 minutes
share
upper thumbnail

The Golghar or Gol Ghar (गोलघर), ("Round House") is a large granary located to the west of the Gandhi Maidan in Patna, capital of Bihar state, India.

According to a contemporary inscription at its base, the Golghar in Patna was intended to be just the first of a series of huge grain stores. In the end, however, no others were ever built. The granary was "part of a general plan … for the perpetual prevention of famine in these provinces"[1] ordered in 1784 by Warren Hastings, the then Governor-General of India.

 

The beehive-shaped structure was designed by Captain John Garstin of the Bengal Engineers, part of the East India Company's Bengal Army. Its construction was completed on 20 July 1786.

 

A drive to improve the appearance of the structure was begun in 2002.[2]

upper thumbnail
Rishi sharma
share

Related Posts

Comments (0)
New Blog
New Gallery